Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Performance: Filtering- skip/cancel text filter searches? - Visokio Forums
Performance: Filtering- skip/cancel text filter searches?
  •     rborobia May 9, 2013 10:59AM
    Hi, I'm Raul from Tinval.

It would be need that on text search fields (in reports, fields such as "Search all", i've attached a screenshot) to allow disable the auto-search, and only execute the search when the user click on "enter". May also be necessary to allow cancel a search in progress, which in big subsets of data may take a long time.

Thanks for your attention
    Attachments
    text_search_fields.jpg 57K
  • 4 Comments
  •     rborobia May 14, 2013 11:54AM
    Would be possible to make this improvement?
  •     rborobia May 17, 2013 4:36AM
    Any help? Many users have requested this feature.
  •     steve May 17, 2013 12:36PM
    Raul,

The poor performance occurs when searching all upon large datasets, when your typing is paused for a second, and the text search is applied as part of your filters.

(I don't think you are referring to the auto-complete search results drop-down that appears below the search field; we're not aware of performance issues with this feature, and it can already be turned off in the Devices Tools menu.)

The search filter should only be applied when you stop typing for a second. So you should be able to type quickly without having to wait for the filter to be applied between each character. Is this right?

I appreciate that some users may not be able to type fast enough, or may want full control (through pressing enter). We'll put in an option to adjust the delay from 1 second to up to 20 seconds, which effectively does what you want.

But this change will appear in early 2.9 builds - 2.8 is now closed.

Steve
  •     rborobia May 20, 2013 12:39PM
    Hi Steve, and thanks for your answer.

Exactly, some users may not be able to type fast enough and prefer to have full control. We appreciate that this improvement can be applied. Is not it possible in future 2.8 builds?

Regards

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership