Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Idea: Validate Data - scale/replace an incoming field? - Visokio Forums
Idea: Validate Data - scale/replace an incoming field?
  • VoteVote Up2Vote Down cmollo May 6, 2013 1:06PM
    This is probably a simple question with an obvious answer, but I cannot find the answer in the Forums or KnowledgeBase. I want to convert a field from text to numeric and then scale that field. I am trying to accomplish this with the Field Organizer block. I would like to use a formula like this:
    VALUE(this same field) / 100.0
    Of course "this same field " is a circular reference, not a valid formula field reference. So, the best I can figure out is to use two Field Organizer blocks. In the first block I create a new field, let's call it [field2], with a formula:
    VALUE[field1] / 100.0
    Then in the second block, I delete field1. Is that the best solution, or is there a better solution?

Thanks! Chris
  • 4 Comments
  •     paola May 15, 2013 5:20AM
    Hi Chris, Could you please post a small sample file (iok or Excel), so we can see the format of the values in the input field? Thanks
  • cmollo May 15, 2013 8:38AM
    Hi paola,

Thanks for the response. Yes, files are attached to this post. The input data has a field named "Gas Price," which is in cents. I want to convert that field to gas price in dollars. I can do that using two Field Organizer blocks (as shown in the example iok file). I would like to accomplish the conversion using a single Field Organizer block (or a single block of some kind). I just can't believe there is not a simpler way to scale a field. I want to scale the field "in place"... I just want to specify that a field be multiplied by some value and the result replace the original value.

Chris
  •     tjbate May 22, 2013 12:52PM
    Chris - No, you have not missed a trick...at the moment the two separate Field Organiser blocks are required because you cannot delete the existing [cents] field in the same block that you are using to convert [cents] to formula field [dollars]. That is why the second block is currently required... to delete the [cents] field. You could choose to eliminate the second Field Organiser block overhead by leaving the [cents] field in the data set, and simply hiding it globally in the DataExplorer interface using:

Data > Manage fields {field} Hide

However, the extra unused field/column would add to the RAM footprint of the in-memory Report IOK file data set, so this is not ideal.

I have re-classified this as an Idea to use another block, possibly the Validate Data block, to perform this kind of operation.
  • cmollo May 23, 2013 8:27AM
    OK. Thanks for the insight. It is good to know.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged