Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Mapping: Geocoding - Yahoo server no longer working? - Visokio Forums
Mapping: Geocoding - Yahoo server no longer working?
  •     andy_white April 5, 2013 11:08AM
    Hi - I think Yahoo have changed the address of their geo-coding engine as it no longer works. Cloudmade isn't as accurate (often doesn't pick up address details) - will Yahoo be updated to work? will there be support for other engines in future?
  • 4 Comments
  • Alexander     Alexander April 5, 2013 11:34AM
    Hi all, I just noticed this topic. As Yahoo is indeed more accurate and the default setting we use it all the time. I hope it will be working again soon.

Thanks!
  •     tjbate April 5, 2013 11:41AM
    Andy, Alex - We do not recommend relying on any one geo-coding server, especially the free ones, when it is so easy to compare and contrast multiple sources in Omniscope. Also note that if you are hitting the free geo-coding servers hard with lots of records, they will 'throttle' usage.

Please see:
    http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/2050/mapping-geocodings

We will soon be adding API-based access to high-quality ESRI geocoding services, which have the best quality and global coverage, but are (of course) not free.

See also this posting relating to Google mapping:
    http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/384/mapping-geo-coding-multiple-sources-for-geo-coding-services
  • Alexander     Alexander April 18, 2013 6:39AM
    All,

Will the yahoo service be updated?

Thanks
  •     richard April 18, 2013 12:52PM
    All,

Thanks for highlighting this issue, the Yahoo geocoding service which Omniscope used has been discontinued. Yahoo now offer a new service called 'Yahoo BOSS Geo' which we intend to support in future. However this is a paid for service from Yahoo.

Richard

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership