Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
SUBSET_MEAN weighted by - Visokio Forums
SUBSET_MEAN weighted by
  • VoteVote Up1Vote Down     acm January 22, 2010 4:09PM
    Hi,

I am trying to calculate per subset the average of a variable (ROI).
    I need the ROI weighted by another variable (costs). I can set the weighting in the visuals which works fine, but can I integrate this weighting in the SUBSET_MEAN function?

Thanks
    Arjan
  • 6 Comments
  •     steve January 22, 2010 4:15PM
    Weighted mean isn't yet available in formulae.

Another idea - again, not yet available - is to have a SUM_FOR function (and MEAN_FOR) such as SUM_FOR(SUBSET(...), [A]*[B]) which would evaluate a sub-expression (e.g. [A]*[B]) and calculate it for every record in SUBSET(...), then take the sum of those results. This also would allow you to construct a weighted mean and other more complex formulae.
  •     acm January 25, 2010 2:02PM
    Steve,

Will this be a feature in 2.6? See a lot of situations in which I can use this!
    Would be great
    Thanks
  •     steve January 25, 2010 2:33PM
    No, 2.6 is closed to new features - sorry.
  •     indranildatta November 10, 2010 1:01PM
    Hi,

I have a very similar requirement like above. I need to weight SUBSET_MEAN of "Percent View" with a field called Total. Could you please suggest a workaround? Would multiplying the original column with the Total column and then applying SUBSET_MEAN work?

Cheers!
    Indranil.
    Indranil Datta
    Invizua Limited - www.invizua.com - Dedicated to Media, Marketing Services and Market Research Organisations
    M: +44 7956 470 046 | E: indranil.datta@invizua.com | Skype: indranildatta1 | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/indranildatta | Twitter: @indranildatta

Address: Studio 6, 36-42 New Inn Yard, London EC2A 3EY
  •     steve November 10, 2010 1:34PM
    Yes, create a field called "Adjusted Percent View" which has formula [Total] * [Percent View]

Then use SUBSET_SUM([Adjusted Percent View]) / SUBSET_SUM([Total]).

I think this is correct.
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert November 13, 2010 4:27PM
    From bitter experience, I would advise extreme caution when using weighted mean calculations... they can work well in some cases, but results are dependent on underlying data, aggregation choices, use of subsets and grouping. It is very easy to derive incorrect results which look 'pretty close' in many cases but can be substantially wrong. I say bitter experience because I have been caught out several times in client projects, and now resist the use of weighted means in all commercial work. For an example, see this thread - http://forums.visokio.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=437
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
    w: www.atheonanalytics.com
    e: guy.cuthbert@atheon.co.uk
    t: +44 8444 145501
    m: +44 7973 550528
    s: guycuthbert

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership