Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Formulae: Dense RANK Function? - Visokio Forums
Formulae: Dense RANK Function?
  •     bgrovens January 24, 2013 5:19PM
    Hi Visokio - I have been trying to create a formula that will give me a simple Ranking. If I use the built-in function RANK and base this on application name the result set will be 1, 124, 300, 500, etc. What I need is a true application ranking 1,2,3,4. Oracle has a great built in function to do this, DENSE_RANK(). Any ideas on a work around or did I miss a function I could use that is already built into the tool? Here is what I have so far RANK([Application Name]).

Thanks for the help, Brian
  • 3 Comments
  •     steve January 27, 2013 8:01AM
    You mean the equivalent of RANK applied to "aggregated by Application Name"? Can you use this approach?
  •     paola January 28, 2013 5:00AM
    Two options:
    1) SUBSET_SUM([Value],Subset[Application Name]), then RANK the result.

2) You could add RANK field, sorting[Value], but choose option under Tools>Functions>Calculate for group values. Then aggregate on [Application Name].
  •        mohamed February 7, 2013 1:21AM
    Hi - I have done this before. You need to do the following:

1. SUBSET_SUM([Value],Subset[Application Name]), then RANK the result.
    2. Aggregate by [Application Name] and change [Rank] Aggregation function to Formula Result.

It would be nice to have a direct formula DENSE_RANK[FIELD]. There is a already an idea for this, please vote for it here http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/1079.

Regards, Mohamed
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership