Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Idea: Scheduler-Improving Log/Error tracking? - Visokio Forums
Idea: Scheduler-Improving Log/Error tracking?
  • VoteVote Up3Vote Down     earheart December 11, 2012 9:51AM
    Is there a way to have Omniscope Server track all the jobs in a central location with run history? I know i can glean this from the Scheduler log, but when i have 50 jobs running nightly, it is very difficult to see if one ran in error...
  • 8 Comments
  •     tjbate December 14, 2012 6:29AM
    Stephen - You are correct that Scheduler logging is currently very granular and somewhat primitive/non-configurable from the perspective of high-volume Publishers like yourselves.

The workaround at the moment is to use an external scheduler like the Windows Task Scheduler, or else create your own job-oriented monitoring log file by defining Task List Actions on success or fail that write logging info to an external text file using a Command Action.

This would result in a condensed log file with only one text line per task, which could in turn be imported into/appended to an Omniscope IOK monitoring file and text mined/parsed for warnings, errors etc., setting flags in formula fields for review and triggering alert actions like e-mail...
  •     earheart December 17, 2012 2:49PM
    Do you have an example or documentation around scheduling using Windows Task Scheduler?
  •     tjbate December 20, 2012 12:08PM
    The Scheduler logging has improved a lot in version 2.8, but to schedule task reporting via the Windows Task Scheduler, you will need to use the Windows command syntax documented at the end of this page:
    http://www.visokio.com/kb/xml-actions
  •     earheart December 20, 2012 12:26PM
    Good to know... we are looking at an upgrade over the holidays
  •     cgamolo January 14, 2013 3:17PM
    Hi Thomas,

When we run the Scheduler as a Service and review the log file, we don't see the daily tasks added to the log file? Is this expected?

When I open the Scheduler application, the log file states that the Scheduler is already running and it starting in configuration-only mode. Is there a way to open the first instance of the Scheduler? Our expectation is that the log file should capture all tasks when using the Service regardless of if the Scheduler configuration application is open or not.

• antonio     antonio January 15, 2013 6:14AM
    To see more information about the tasks being executed by the Scheduler, turn on "Log Detail" option in the Omniscope Server/Scheduler configuration.
    See attached screenshot.
    Attachments
    logdetail.png 31K
  • Barcl February 26, 2013 4:44AM
    As per my evidence Scheduler is not working in my installation. I turned Log Detail on but I have no evidence in the log about any activity on the scheduled tasks. The service is active but I believe the Scheduler is not executing the planned tasks.
  • antonio     antonio February 28, 2013 7:00AM
    As per last customer message, the Scheduler log showed that the IOK file was not present. It was a Windows System account problem. Fixed by the user.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership