Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Idea: Display-Deriving tab names/view headers from filter settings? - Visokio Forums
Idea: Display-Deriving tab names/view headers from filter settings?
  • VoteVote Up1Vote Down     kmatrix999 November 1, 2012 10:47AM
    I often produce files that include multiple tabs but identical dashboard measures reflecting either a different product or different country. For each tab I then have to enter a title and a tab heading.

Is there a way that filter selections ( i.e. Austria/Air Quality Control or Ukraine/Air Quality Control) could be linked (as an option) to a title field?

Also, on a separate issue I have noticed that when I export using screenshot, PowerPoint or PDF the spanner (top right) always (unhelpfully) appears.
  • 10 Comments
  •     tjbate November 1, 2012 11:22AM
    Martyn - Are you referring to View headers, or to Data titles? At the moment, the Data titles are supposed to do this, and the View header is free text. If you do not show the View header, the Data titles should play the same role.

Could you please report the last point as a bug, and include a screenshot? Thanks...
  •     tjbate November 1, 2012 11:30AM
    Data titles should also pick-up the Named Query defining the subset of data in the view, if there is one.
  •     kmatrix999 November 1, 2012 12:02PM
    Tom- I don't mean Data Titles. They usually display much more data than users need to know and I always switch them off.

I mean "Header" under the Style Menu, where I would like to show selections made using Device filters (which are not shown in the Data Titles.
  •     tjbate November 1, 2012 12:10PM
    Martyn - In version 2.8, you have the new Device View, which enables you to position filter devices anywhere...not just on the Sidebar. This will improve on the current situation in terms of clarifying which fields/values are filtered IN or OUT of a specific view.

The difficulty with changing the View header from only free text to something that picks up a filter setting is that there are often very many filters that could be set...

One would have to nominate which filter device would be the one that is picked up in the View Header of possibly only one View on the tab?
  •     kmatrix999 November 1, 2012 12:40PM
    A drop-down menu either on the Devices menu or on the View header menu that enabled me to pick which filter selections to show in the View Header would deliver what I need.

Alternatively, a Device View that only showed selected filters in its own window (without all of the greyed out options) - would serve a similar purpose. This idea has, I think, come up before, but in a different context.

The problem that I have with using Sidebar Devices to illustrate selected filters is that invariably you have to scroll down to see all of the options, this means that on printed Export most of the filter selections are not shown as part of the view. Hope that makes sense.

Incidentally, what menu/ option do I use to reposition filter devices? Sounds useful, (but probably not for the above) but I haven't spotted it
  •     tjbate November 1, 2012 1:04PM
    It is coming in an upcoming build of 2.8 alpha...it is a new Device View option that can be added to any tab any number of times using Add View...
  •     tjbate November 1, 2012 1:12PM
    So to summarise this Idea, it is really two ideas intended to help consumers of static image and printed files (PowerPoint, PDF etc.) to understand which filter settings are in effect for any given combination of tab/view.

1. Nominate filter settings to be displayed as View headers for any given tab/view

and/or

2. Create a new, configurable Exclusions/Query diagnosis display in the new Device View that summarises which values are explicitly In/Out in a given view on a given tab.
  •     kmatrix999 November 1, 2012 1:20PM
    That would do very nicely.
  •     steve November 2, 2012 5:19AM
    To clarify further:

Data titles can show a lot of information, but don't have to. Instead of hiding them altogether, right click individual devices to hide/show independently.

Also, page/view headers support formulae in {{double curly brackets}}. So if you have a single value isolated in a filter for field X, use "{{SUBSET_SINGLETON([X])}}" somewhere in your headers.
  •     kmatrix999 November 2, 2012 5:27AM
    Useful info, wasn't aware of either option. Thanks

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership