Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Date/Time: Formatting - input/output -leading zeros? - Visokio Forums
Date/Time: Formatting - input/output -leading zeros?
  • kristenjberg October 26, 2012 1:15PM
    My input date format is:
    1. Omniscope imported my dates (connected to a MySQL table) as text.
    2. I put up the field organizer block and told it that my input format is: mddyyyy
    3. I need my output format to be mmddyyyy
    4. When I tell the field organizer that this is my output format it puts a leading zero in front of EVERY date, not just those that need the leading zero.

Example:
    Input 1: 12141964
    Output 1: 12141964 IF I tell the field organizer that the output format is mddyyyy

Input 2: 12141964
    Output 2: 012141964 IF I tell the field organizer that the output format is mmddyyyy

So, I need Omniscope to recognize: if field length = 8, then do not put leading zero. if field length = 7, put leading zero.

Do I need a formula to get this result? If so, does anyone have a down-and-dirty one I can use?
  • 4 Comments
  •     chris October 26, 2012 1:20PM
    Hi,

Your date format should be MMddyyyy. Please note the uppercase "MM".
  • kristenjberg October 26, 2012 1:36PM
    Hi Chris -

When I tell Omniscope that the input format is mddyyyy it correctly interprets the source data. But, it gives me fields of different length (7 and 8)

But now, I want to transform the data to add the leading zero, only when needed.

Output format mddyyyy gives me:
    10182011 and 1172012

Output format mmddyyyy gives me:
    010182011 and 01172012

Output format MMddyyyy gives me:
    010182011 and 01172012 (same as above)

Thanks -
    ~K.

•     paola October 26, 2012 2:00PM
    Hi - You are correct in saying that your input data is in format mddyyyy, but this is the representation of the format of your data source..probaby MS Excel?

Omniscope is Java-based and uses Java formats where month is represented with capital M characters : M, MM, MMM, or MMMM... differences are explained on our KnowledgeBase page:

http://www.visokio.com/dates-and-times

You will find that (if a date is not automatically correctly imported) you may have to specify the Java input format letter-by-letter, also copying any other characters used, like spaces, /, -, etc. to ensure that Omniscope imports and translates the source date format correctly. You can at the same time also specify an internal Omniscope storage format different from the import format.
  • kristenjberg October 26, 2012 2:47PM
    Thank you, Paola -
    There are no other characters in my source data.

When I did change the output format to that specified by Chris (MMddyyyy) there was no change when I loaded the data into Omniscope. I.e., it continued putting a leading zero in front of already 8 digit dates.

So - I noticed that in MySQL that field is varchar(8). I went into the table and added the leading zero by hand. There were only 50 records.

~K.
    Attachments
    mddyyyy.gif 360K
    MMddyyyy.gif 316K

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership