Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Option to always maintain upper/lower case (2.8+) - Visokio Forums
Option to always maintain upper/lower case (2.8+)
  •     alec_webliquid October 23, 2012 6:56AM
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone can tell me how to disable automatic Upper/Lower case re-formatting for field names? When I manually enter a field name like 'CTR', I want it to stay that way instead of automatically changing to 'Ctr'.

Incidentally Visokio, this happens even when 'Preserve upper/lower case of field name' is selected in the Manage Fields menu. Cheers
  • 12 Comments
  •     alec_webliquid October 23, 2012 6:58AM
    Same goes for renaming DataManager blocks, fields taken from other sources, etc
  •     tjbate October 23, 2012 7:09AM
    Alec - yes, acronyms like CTR should be upper case and stay that way throughout the file, no matter how many times the file is refreshed.
  •     alec_webliquid October 23, 2012 7:16AM
    Yes but how? Currently when I change a field name it automatically corrects the case, so I have to click 'Rename' and type it in upper case again, which is not ideal. How do I switch that off?

Only happens when the entire field name is upper case by the way, if there is any lower case it stays as entered.

Thanks
  •     steve October 23, 2012 7:27AM
    A bug with "preserve case" was fixed in 2.8 b312. Do you have at least this version?

The reason we auto-correct field name case is because it's quite common to import fields from a database all in capitals, such as SUPPLIER_NAME, which is ugly and harder to read. Omniscope should only correct names which are entirely uppercase or entirely lowercase. For example, "CTR value" would not be corrected, since it has mixed case.
  •     alec_webliquid October 23, 2012 7:43AM
    Ah OK, I am still using 2.7 (currently build 442) and will be until 2.8 goes public.

I understand the need for this functionality but it would still be great to be able to turn it off, as sometimes preserving capitals is exactly what you want. This is especially true if you are assigning names manually when creating the fields - it is exceptionally annoying having to do it twice just to get capital letters. If it means waiting for 2.8 though for this bug fix at least, then I am fine with it
  •     tjbate October 23, 2012 9:27AM
    Alec - I am reclassifying this as an idea, and voting for it myself, since it serves no purpose if the data sources for the file are not database sources that deliver all upper case field names.
  •        CRead February 11, 2013 7:37AM
    I would vote for it to be off by default. If you have a database import block, then an option to 'correct field names' there might be useful, but for everything else it creates annoying bugs and work to fix things back to what the client demands in the output.
  •     steve February 12, 2013 9:24AM
    From tonight's 2.8, the following application-wide setting allows you to turn this behaviour off. This setting will take effect in all fields for all files created by a particular installation, and will be preserved for those files/fields when opened on other installations.

Settings > Advanced > Data sources > Preserve field name case by default
  •     jonacostes February 15, 2013 12:50PM
    Hi, I'm using 2.8 version, It works for table views but for Pivot view titles in upper case have to be entered twice to get upper working permanent.

This could be enhanced to work since first time? Thanks,
  •     steve February 18, 2013 4:54AM
    Do you have 2.8 b587 or later?
  •        CRead February 25, 2013 5:02PM
    Is there any chance of this being available for 2.7? We have a lot of files in production which we won't be shifting to 2.8 for several months, and it's still causing a lot of wasted effort.

At the moment I'm working on a file, and in the block feeding into Omniscope I have fixed a field so that it is correctly name SBU, because the append block before it has renamed it. Inside Omniscope the field is again broken. Handing files like this to clients looks ridiculously incompetent.

As far as databases returning field names in capitals, Oracle will do this, but it's simply a matter of returning table.field as "Field Name" which is then correct and normal good practice. I don't see any good reason for this code existing, and certainly see no reason why it should be renaming fields I have added, formulas inside views, DM blocks etc. Clients see it as a bug and so do I.
  •     steve March 3, 2013 8:51AM
    Sorry, Colin - this change is too high-risk to back-port. But files created with this option in 2.8 will open correctly in 2.7.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership