Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Linking data tables - Visokio Forums
Linking data tables
  • averilh November 12, 2009 11:28AM
    I understand that Visokio works from 'flat' tables of data. I wondered if you could advise on the best way to set up Visokio tables in this case. I have a range of hierarchical market sectors, which are just fine. In the sector at the bottom of the tree, I have comapanies, and I want to be able to drill down through sectors to companies (and also back up or course). However many of these companies are actually in several (or all) of these bottom sectors. I would have set this up as two databases, linked via the company, but can't for Visokio. I could put comapnies as separate records for each, or as separate fields for each, but in both cases I end up with the company record in more than once. I really don't want to do this, as it will make the table far too large large and will also cause much double counting in other parts of the data. Any suggestions?Thanks
  • 1 Comment
  • %5BDeleted+User%5D [Deleted User] November 13, 2009 11:44AM
    A many to one relationship between sectors (many) and companies (one) is usually handled from a filtering standpoint by tokenising the Sector field, and putting multiple Sector values for each company record. See the discussion on using Tokenised fields here:

http://www.visokio.com/tokenized-data

The multiple values in a cell will filter properly and should not affect visualisation or counts, and you can use the Network View to provide visual hierachical navigation of hierarchical data sets with multiple tokenised fields...see example attached

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership