Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Idea: Automate download (FTP) and import of zipped files? - Visokio Forums
Idea: Automate download (FTP) and import of zipped files?
  • VoteVote Up18Vote Down     shaji_o August 30, 2012 10:03PM
    Is Omniscope able to import via FTP remote data files that are zipped? I've got a CSV file that I'm trying to import using the URL module, but it doesn't seem to work.

Is importing an FTP file directly to Omniscope much quicker than downloading the file to your own PC, unzipping and then importing it as a flat file into Omniscope? File size is 500MB. This is the first time I've dealt with a file of this size within Omniscope and when I tried importing the 500MB file on my local drives, it started hanging after importing 20% or so.

I do currently run Omniscope off my laptop, so that may not have the required processing power/RAM for the larger files.
  • 11 Comments
  •     tjbate August 31, 2012 5:54AM
    Shaji - Currently, automatically unzipping .ZIP data files while importing the data is not possible in Omniscope. I have re-classified this as an Idea, since would not be difficult to add this feature, and it would enable totally automated periodic 'time-slicing' of zipped remote data (and archiving locally as compact IOK Timeslice files for batch appends) using the Scheduler.

If you are going to be manually downloading, un-zipping and importing very large data files, make sure you are using a machine with a 64-bit (not 32-bit) operating system (Windows). Machines with 32-bit operating systems can only address about 1.1 GB of RAM, thereby limiting the file size that can be managed in-memory on the machine. If you have already changed to 64-bit Windows, then make sure you fully-populate the RAM on your machine...RAM is now very cheap.
  •     shaji_o September 2, 2012 9:59PM
    Currently the operating system I have is 32-bit, so am looking at updating to 64-bit. Will also get additional RAM. I noticed there is a 32-bit and 64-bit version of Omniscope. Does the 64-bit one perform better with larger data sources?
  •     tjbate September 3, 2012 6:05AM
    Shaji - A 64-bit OS costs the same, but allows you address literally billions of times more RAM than 32-bit, not just double... All current machines, even Windows tablets, are currently 64-bit most with at least 4 GB RAM.
  •     SherrickChavda October 11, 2012 9:51AM
    Hiya - Do we have an update on this? Or even a workaround? Thanks,
  •     tjbate October 11, 2012 11:19AM
    Sherrick - Why not tell your data vendor to use Dropbox/GDrive, etc.?

Seriously, this will not be difficult....but it needs a few more agency votes...are you the only one who wants this..? If not, cut-paste the page link and circulate to others to get more votes.

One question: What should be the behavior if there are more than one file inside the zip folder...of same or different files types....is this an issue?
  •     chris October 11, 2012 11:38AM
    Hi,

We've had a discussion as to how we see this working.

We could add the ability to select a "ZIP" file from the "Open file" menu. This would assume that the ZIP file contained only one file inside it. You would have to specify the type of file being imported (in your example above this would be "CSV"). If the ZIP file contained MORE than one file, Omniscope would show an error message.

If you wanted to open a file from a ZIP file that contained more than one files then we could add support for ZIP files in the "Batch append" operation. ZIP files are essentially a folder of files, so using the "Batch append" operation you could specify the name(s) of the files you wanted to import and the parsing options. Using the batch append operation you could choose to append several files on one go from a ZIP file or a single file.

I think both of the above would cover most use-cases when working with ZIP files. Please let us know what you think.
  •     ALC June 11, 2013 6:47AM
    Hi,

I am just wondering if there now is a way to import/open 'ZIP' files in omniscope

Thanks
    Anna
  •     steve June 11, 2013 7:16AM
    Anna - what's in the zip?
  •     ALC June 17, 2013 7:38AM
    The ZIP contains multiple CSV files
  •     tjbate June 17, 2013 10:14AM
    Anna - This already an Idea and it is moving up the charts...have all your colleagues vote for it and it will be done sooner rather than later...
  • Dominic February 16, 2015 9:38AM
    Hey,

Is this feature still on the radar?

Thanks.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership