Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Scaling & Performance: Database tables/OLAP cubes? - Visokio Forums
Scaling & Performance: Database tables/OLAP cubes?
  •     mburgess August 30, 2012 4:48AM
    To date most of the files I have loaded into Omniscope have ben csv or xls files - I have a 32GB ram PC these days and we are starting to work with bigger clients where record sets will be much bigger. To date the most records I have loaded has been in the 10-15million range (20-30 fields) - which has used large amounts of RAM

If I used either database table or OLAP cube to read data into Omniscope how would this cope with 100 million or so records with a similar amount of fields?

I am also aware 2.8 version is meant to be focussing on performance - have there been any significant developments in data load or are you looking more at processes cross records (aggregation, sort, subset functions etc) for optimisation. Thanks Matt
  • 1 Comment
  •     tjbate August 30, 2012 6:31AM
    Matthew - There are no inherent limits in Omniscope regarding row/column counts held in memory. As long as your OS is 64 bit and the physical RAM is present on the machine, Omniscope will be able to use it. We are aware of clients running Omniscope on servers with 200 to 300 GB of RAM with no reported problems. We know of 24+ million row Source IOK files running on a mail-order Dell desktop that consolidated many smaller server-based relational databases and entirely replaced a planned (small) data warehouse.

Version 2.8 is focussing on delivering the HTML5/JavaScript deployment option for browsers (including IPads and Android devices) interacting with master Report IOK files running on a central server. This will enable you to overcome the 32-bit legacy OS problem wherein your Report IOK file recipients are still using 32-bit OS and therefore cannot open files requiring more than about 1.1 GB of addressable RAM.

Performance imporvements in Omniscope are on-going, but the most fundamental changes to scaleability and performance will now be in version 2.9, given the urgency of delivering the mobile HTML/JavaScript browser deployment option in 2.8. Many known scaling and performance improvements will be implemented in version 2.9 to both significantly increase the amount of data that fits in a given amount of RAM, and also the speed with which common server-side ETL processes in Source IOK files like multi-field aggregations, sorts, text concatenations, search/replace blocks etc. are executed.

We also anticipate much improved disk-caching of source blocks and perhaps eventually even some intelligent usage of SSD flash memory if it is present on the machine.

As data volumes continue to grow, adding inexpensive server RAM will be the best insurance since the rate of reduction in peak RAM footprint for a given data set in Omniscope, although likely to be very significant, is unlikely to match data volume growth in the long term.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership