Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Sources: Execute URL in email to download data? - Visokio Forums
Sources: Execute URL in email to download data?
  •     cgamolo August 21, 2012 5:47PM
    Hello,
    I'm looking to pull a CSV report from a URL link in an email. Not sure if this is possible? I have already setup my email connector and this works fine. In the body of the email is a link to a report that will open a CSV file. Is there a way to execute that link and pull the data? Are there alternatives?
  • 14 Comments
  •     steve August 22, 2012 4:21AM
    See attached example.

"List of values" simulates an Email source with body text containing links. The example data has 2 records with a link, different IOK files from our site: "Web ads" and "Coffee sales".

"Field organiser" extracts the first link found in the text as a separate field. It assumes your links are HTML links in the message body.

"Batch append links" downloads and merges each linked data file, ending up with 30 fields (superset of fields from both demos, plus the original input data).
  •     cgamolo August 22, 2012 9:47AM
    Thanks, when I try to open the file, I am getting the following message:
    "The following blocks were removed from the DataManager workflow: Batch append links"

I am also trying to use the Field Organiser function and the link that I want has already been extracted as a value so I don't need to use the FINDBETWEEN function. How can I create a formula that looks at the beginning of the value and if true, return the value instead as oppose to the word "true".
  •     paola August 22, 2012 10:24AM
    IF(LEFT([Value], 3)="Ano", [Value], null)
    The formula inspects first 3 characters and returns the value of the field if the first word is "Another" for example, or nothing (no value) if not true.
  •     cgamolo August 22, 2012 12:25PM
    Thanks Paola - that works well.

Could I get an updated demo iok file as I am not able to see the Batch Append Links block in the one attached.
  •     paola August 22, 2012 12:52PM
    The file opens fine on my machine, so I attached a screenshot where you can see all the chosen options.
  •     cgamolo August 22, 2012 3:50PM
    Hi Paola,
    I have updated and now see this feature and the Batch Append Links works as described above. When will 2.8 be released to the public?

My other question is now how can connect this so that it pulls from the email the content to populate the list of values so it is dynamic and executes daily? Our setup is that we receive a daily email that contains a URL to the report. From there, we need to execute that URL to download the data.

•     paola August 28, 2012 5:55AM
    When saving the file, choose option Refresh on open : Always.

If you have a Server license you could automate both import and export process, without anyone having to initiate it (with Desktop you will have to open the file).
  •     OmarKhan August 30, 2012 6:03AM
    I have tied the web mail url and it gives me an error message.

•     chris August 30, 2012 6:48AM
    We understand you are trying to download email data from a Microsoft Exchange server. You must use an email Source block to do this, the URL Source block will not work. You will also need to setup your Exchange server to also support either POP-3 or IMAP.
  •     tjbate August 30, 2012 6:49AM
    Omar - Is this an incoming email with an embedded link to a data file? Is it received on a mail server that uses the POP or IMAP protocol, or is it an Exchange Server which has not yet had POP or IMAP protocol support added?

Where did the mail come from? What does the error message say? Can you send us the file?
  •     cgamolo November 5, 2012 4:55PM
    Hi,
    I'm looking to use the Batch Append Links option. Is this still part of alpha 2.8? When will it be released to the public so that our latest version has that option?
  •     chris November 6, 2012 3:26AM
    Hi,

Thanks for the question. In Omniscope 2.8 you can use the "Batch append" block to append files in an FTP, DropBox or Google Drive directory. Is this the functionality you require?
  •     cgamolo November 6, 2012 8:46AM
    Hi Chris,
    I'm looking for the Batch Append Links option that Paola had shown in her example above. This was functionality to execute a URL link with reporting data and download that data.'

Thanks,
    Catherine
  •     chris November 6, 2012 9:12AM
    Hi,

Yes the Batch Append Links block is part of Omniscope 2.8. This is available now to Alpha partners, and will be available shortly as the main Omniscope release.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged