Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Manage Fields:Changing Field Names? - Visokio Forums
Manage Fields:Changing Field Names?
  •     Phillipa July 11, 2012 10:58AM
    Hi - I have the problem that I have to translate an Omniscope file into another language.

I am creating a portfolio view in the Graph View and can't find where I can change the varible names on the X and Y axes. In the Bar charts it is easy to rename the variables.

Is there something I am overlooking or is it possible to change the field name in "Manage Fields" under "data" without all the other views being thrown out of whack.

What I really want to know is if I change the name in "Manage Fields", will it automatically update in the other views?

Thanks in advance. Phillipa
  • 2 Comments
  •     tjbate July 11, 2012 11:41AM
    Phillipa - First of all, there is a difference between names of fields/columns in the data set, and the names of Variables which might have been defined in the file, which are not really fields in the data set, but are part of the file.

The names of all Variables defined in a file can be changed from any Table View Formula drop down using the Add/edit variables dialogue. This same dialog can also be accessed from the 'upstream' DataManager workspace from the Tools drop-down at the bottom of any Field Organiser block.

Field/column names may be changed using either Field Organiser blocks in the DataManager workspace, or the Data > Manage Fields dialog accessible from the DataExplorer interface. The name changes made will be global downstream from the point of the change.

If you make the Field/column name changes using the Data > Manage fields dialog, the changes are added to the list inside the blue Omniscope block at the bottom of the DataManager dataflow. This means the changes will be re-applied only at that point in the data refresh.

Mulitple translations are often done by 'branching' a dataflow in the DataManager workspace into multiple streams and using multiple Field Organiser blocks to change the 'master' Field/Column names into various langauges before publishing/saving each language-specific output IOK file. Using this approach, any number of translated language-specific files and templates can be created from just one 'upstream' master data flow.

•     Phillipa July 11, 2012 1:18PM
    Hi Tom,

Sorry, I think I confused matters by confusing variables and measures.

I have since gone into Manage Fields and changed the field name - the consequence being that all measures were updated with the new name - great!!!

Thanks for your long explanation and sorry again!

Phillipa

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged