Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
web search extension - Visokio Forums
web search extension
  • VoteVote Up4Vote Down     andy_white July 4, 2012 8:00AM
    Would it be possible to increase the web search to include google search engine and then use the google advanced features so it's possible to filter by date of page update etc?
  • 3 Comments
  •     tjbate July 4, 2012 10:42AM
    Andy - Yes, this can be done, subject to demand (please vote).

Also keep in mind that many of these web services will not always be free, and you may need to enter your own corporate account credentials to access these services via future revised/expanded versions of the relevant Omniscope Connectors.
  •     andy_white July 13, 2012 1:49PM
    Thanks Tom. Any thoughts on development timescales if this was to be added?
  •     chris July 18, 2012 11:14AM
    Hi Andy,

I've done some investigation into this. I don't know if you've seen another recent post but the BING search (which we currently use in Omniscope for the web/news/image feeds) is moving to a paid model. As such we are investigating alternatives, however it is likely that whichever search engine we move to it will require you to setup billing and to pay to use it.

In terms of Google, about a year ago Google deprecated all of their search services (web/news/images) and moved to Custom search:

http://www.google.com/cse/
    https://developers.google.com/custom-search/

In custom search you can perform searches for a custom search engine you have setup. When you setup a custom search engine you need to specify which sites you want to search accross. So you can't use this API (as far as I can see) to perform standard google searches over the entire internet. As such it seems that there is no way to integrate google search results into Omniscope via a Google approved API.

Please let us know if you discover anything else, however unfortunately in the meantime it doesn't look like this is possible.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership