Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Macs: JTDS Error - Visokio Forums
Macs: JTDS Error
  • doug_ldc July 2, 2012 6:52AM
    Hi - I've been getting this error for a while now when trying to connect to a SQL server using the jTDS plugin. do you know how I can reinstall the driver on Mac OSX running Lion 10.7.4
    Thanks Doug
  • 8 Comments
  •     tjbate July 2, 2012 10:32AM
    Doug - The jTDS driver option (the default) should work on Mac for SQL Server. It is a pure JDBC driver, and not ODBC.

If you needs to use SQL Server directly from a Mac, what problems are you having with jTDS?.

This following workaround may also work instead for the SQL Server 2008 JDBC option:
    • driver: "JDBC (advanced)"
    • driver class: "com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver"
    • jdbc url: "jdbc:sqlserver://HOST\INSTANCE:PORT;database=DATABASE"
    • jar file / classpath: "/full/path/to/sqljdbc4.jar"

Please let us know how you resolved this issue on your Macs
  • doug_ldc July 2, 2012 11:19AM
    It seems that the drive sqljdbc4.jar is missing from the Visokio app. Looked in jtds folder inside Visokio Package Contents and on the latest version of 2.6, it's empty.
    I'll try our second method and see if it works
  •     steve July 2, 2012 2:14PM
    Doug, "sqljdbc4.jar" is part of the Microsoft JDBC driver download - *not* part of Omniscope.

Only jTDS is included with Omniscope. When you choose "SQL Server" in Omniscope, you also see a "Driver" choice, with "jTDS" being the default. If you change this to "Microsoft SQL Server 2008", you will be prompted to download and install/extract from Microsoft.

You shouldn't need to go inside the package contents. There's nothing wrong with the empty jTDS folder; it only contains native libraries for Windows authentication in Omniscope installations on Windows - not relevant for Mac.

What happens when you choose jTDS on Mac? We've tested it, and it works correctly without any additional downloads.
  • doug_ldc July 3, 2012 5:19AM
    Still the same error with 2.7 using the SQL Server / jTDS option but works if I use the jTDS advanced menu and manually locate the sqljdbc4.jar file.
    The error I have is "Unable to connect the database. The JDBC driver file(s) are either currently unavailable or not correctly configured:".
    Where should the JDBC driver files be located in the Visokio Package Contents folder?

Thanks
  •     steve July 3, 2012 5:42AM
    You will find a jtds jar inside the plugins folder.

We tested 2.7 with jTDS on Mac yesterday. Perhaps there is some incompatibility with jtds and your particular database. When you say it works with JDBC advanced using sqljdbc4.jar, this means you are using the Microsoft driver, not jTDS.

(Separately, we have updated Omniscope 2.7 to support the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 driver option on Mac, without using JDBC (advanced). Please install tonight's 2.7 b374 or later.)

Since we cannot see the problem with the (default) jTDS option on Mac or PC, please could you help us investigate this by:
    1. Tick "Settings > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Report database errors as bugs" and "Report recognised errors as bugs".
    2. Reproduce the problem.
    3. Click the red error in the block, and report an error when prompted, cross referencing the address of this discussion, including a screenshot.
    4. Revert the settings above.
  • doug_ldc July 3, 2012 5:57AM
    Hi Steve,

I've attached the list of items located in the plugins folder from the build 373 I download this morning.
    Could you send the jtds.jar file so that i can see if that's the problem or whether it' sometimes with my Mac.
    Attachments
    plugins_folder.txt 1K
  •     steve July 3, 2012 9:13AM
    Doug, you're absolutely right; our tests yesterday must have been completely wrong. The jTDS JAR is missing in Mac builds. Fixed in tonight's 2.7 b374 (in addition to fixing support for the Microsoft driver). No need to follow the steps from my last post.
  • doug_ldc July 5, 2012 5:40AM
    All working fine now the correct jtds plugin in the Plugins folder. Thanks for our help
    Doug
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership