Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Limitation on moving license? - Visokio Forums
Limitation on moving license?
  • jhon June 26, 2012 2:05PM
    Just run into issue that my collegue cannot work on the project because the number of times the license is moved is limited. How can this be quickly solved?

We work in teams in time (development vs visualisation) so swap the key, to each work on our own machines. And work in different times, so we can keep up the speed. Please help!
  • 6 Comments
  •     paola June 26, 2012 2:15PM
    Hi Jhon,
    I just sent you an email explaining that Omniscope keys should not be shared and passed on between colleagues, and moved routinely between machines. Activation limit is designed to prevent misuse of activation keys. For those who work frequently from home or client location we have special offer on 'second keys', so please contact us directly about the options.
  •     Phillipa June 27, 2012 3:37AM
    Hi,

This should be made known when you purchase the software. I often deactivate the licence so that I can check how the presentation works in omniscope viewer.

The ability to move between machines was communicated as one of the advantages of Omniscope to us.

Specifically what is the limit on deactivation and reactivation of keys?

Thanks.
    Phillipa
  •     tjbate June 27, 2012 2:12PM
    Phillipa - There is no fixed limit, merely the license condition that once you have moved a key more than 3 times we may ask you to give us more information about why, and may decline to reset the key if we feel an additional key or dedicated second key is required. Very inexpensive second keys, which are tied to main keys and cannot be moved, are available to facilitate home working and some 'hot-desking scenarios.
    In practise, we tend focus on truly 'hyperactive' keys, some of which have been being moved 50 times or more in a given year.

The policy is:

"Omniscope keys can be de-activated on one machine and moved to another, but this may be done unassisted only three times, after which the user may need to contact
    Visokio for help to continue to move/re-activate the key. Please note that users/IT support staff must always de-activate Omniscope and recover the key before re-building a machine or re-formatting the hard drive. Uninstalling Omniscope is never required (de-activated installations revert to free Viewers) and does not de-activate the license key on our servers, which will continue to show the key in use."

The one-click 'free Viewer preview/proofing mode' is a good idea, and we will likely make that much easier to do without needing to de-activate keys. If that is the reason why a key has been activated and de-activated 10 or 20 times in a year, we will accept it until we provide a 'free Viewer mode'.
  •     Phillipa June 28, 2012 12:53PM
    Tom,

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the one-click 'free Viewer preview/proofing mode'. Where exactly can I find it?

Phillipa
  •     tjbate June 28, 2012 12:55PM
    Phillipa - We just put it in...thanks for pointing out the need> From tonight's release of 2.8 Alpha there will be an extra shortcut available in the Start menu called Omniscope (Viewer) which will start Omniscope in Viewer mode even if you are activated allowing you to test files in the free Viewer.
  •     WKeith June 29, 2012 7:39AM
    Great Idea .. but we don't have access to 2.8 Alpha yet...........................:-(

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership