Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Automatic tab numbering? - Visokio Forums
Automatic tab numbering?
  • VoteVote Up4Vote Down     Phillipa June 20, 2012 9:25AM
    Hi - I have searched everywhere but can't seem to find an automatic way of giving tabs numbers.

Is it possible or do I have to enter the tab numbers manually. We have over 100 dashboards and in 4 files and often move the order.

Thanks, Phillipa
  • 18 Comments
  •     tjbate June 20, 2012 11:07AM
    Phillipa - Not at the moment, but it is a good idea to have an option to pre-pend tab numbers to tab names...and use the number as a default name. Maybe be useful also in building links that reference other tabs in the same or different file...

I have re-classified this as an Idea
  •     Phillipa June 20, 2012 12:38PM
    THanks.

THe idea of referencing other tabs in other files with a number is a winner:))

Philllipa
  •     steve June 21, 2012 4:51AM
    Phillipa, please could you clarify both these ideas, as below. Please also explain what you mean by "often move the order" and how numbering the tabs might help - explain exactly what you want to do automatically and are doing manually, for example.

Numbered tabs: Currently Omniscope calls new tabs "Tab 1", "Tab 2", ...; do you mean:
    • You want a command to rename all tabs (visible... and hidden?) to just a sequential number "1", "2", "3",... ?
    • Or to prepend/append/update numbers found within textual tab names to be sequential?
    • Or to automatically create tabs with just numbers as names?

External tab referencing: how do you want to do this? By inserting special links into the Content View, page footers, etc.? If you clicked this link, would it open a separate new Omniscope, or would it close the current file?
  •     Phillipa June 21, 2012 8:42AM
    Hi Steve,

I would like to have sequential automatic numbering that appears somewhere in the Tab. Eg in the annotation like a page number or as you suggested prepended or appended in the tab name. The tab name should remain but we also need to be able to reference the tabs easily with our clients - easier with numbers than names.

WE have created an index page (content view) with links to tabs. Each tab is numbered sequentially. If I decide to change the order of the tabs or add a tab it would be great if the numbering updated autmatically.

As far as external tab referencing is concerned -

We have an overall summary that ties together 3 other omniscope files. Having a link to an external file should not close the current file, but either open one of the 3 files or lead to the correct tab in an already opened file.

I suppose if you have automatic renumbering it conflicts with the idea of a fixed link with a tab ...........so probably linking it with the name is better.

Phillipa

•     steve June 22, 2012 6:36AM
    So to clarify, you don't want a command to automatically rename tabs.

Instead you want an option to dynamically prepend the tab number, non-editable, before the editable tab name. Should you drag the tabs around, the numbers would update (and always be displayed in sequence).

I think it makes sense for this tab number to be the *visible* tab number, if any tabs are hidden.

Then you want to be able to create links to tab numbers instead of tab names.

Finally, the ability to create links to tabs (by number) in external files, and if that file is already open, not to open it again in a new window.
  •     Phillipa June 22, 2012 6:49AM
    Hi Steve,

Yes, you have got it in a nut shell.

The only thing that worries me is the last point

- "the ability to create links to tabs (by number) in external files"

If I have a link to a tab by a number (automatically updated) and then reorder or add/delete a tab, the number of that tab will change. However, I want the link to that specific tab to remain!

Thanks.
    Phillipa
  •     paola June 22, 2012 6:58AM
    Ideally you would want 'tag # lock' on Save option, like we have for some other settings?
  •     Phillipa June 22, 2012 7:06AM
    Hi Paola,

I am not really sure what 'tag # lock' is but would that not then fix the number?

Would it confict with the idea of automatically updating numbers to be dispayed sequentially when tabs are reordered?
    Thanks
    Phillipa
  •     steve June 22, 2012 9:57AM
    Phillipa,

I'm afraid you can't have your cake and eat it. If you want implicit numbered references to tabs, these will refer to different tabs after a reorder; this is what this Idea is about (are you sure it will work in practice?).

If you want to reference the same physical tab regardless of reorder, you must use names.

Steve
  •     Phillipa June 22, 2012 10:30AM
    Hi Steve,

yes, that's what I thought. For us the sequential numbering is more important.
    A simple page number.

It's just cost me a lot of time to manually input numbers on the tabs and I am sure it will have to be done again cos the client wants a new tab in the middle of the presentation.

Thanks for all your help.
    Phillipa
  •     steve June 24, 2012 8:49AM
    Understood.
  •     steve June 24, 2012 10:09AM
    2.8, available shortly to alpha partners, will have the option to show numbered tabs, and the ability to link by visible tab number (links will not update if you reorder).
  •     Phillipa June 27, 2012 3:41AM
    Thanks. I am not sure if we are Alpha partners or not.

WHat is the difference between alpha and beta partners?
    Phillipa
  •     tjbate June 27, 2012 5:08AM
    Phillipa - There are some parts of this Forum which are only accessible to Alpha Partners, i.e. people pushing the bleeding edge of various features and working with development builds. I have upgraded your Forum User status so you will be able to access a 2.8 build that has this new feature in order to test it.
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert June 27, 2012 12:11PM
    Just a thought... could we address both types of requirement (dynamic renumbering, and unique identification) by introducing a means of referencing:
    • TabID - a unique [Omniscope-generated] ID for every Tab in a an IOK file (supporting Phillipa's desire for references to specific Tabs in external files)
    • TabIndex - a dynamic numbered reference to the sequence of visible Tabs (supporting the more common requirement for simple presentation indexing)

This would allow links to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, nth tab according to current visibility and sequence, as well as a link to a fixed notes Tab, or comments Tab etc.
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
    w: www.atheonanalytics.com
    e: guy.cuthbert@atheon.co.uk
    t: +44 8444 145501
    m: +44 7973 550528
    s: guycuthbert
  •     Phillipa June 28, 2012 4:22AM
    Tom,

Thanks for the upgrade.

Phillipa
  •     Phillipa August 13, 2012 12:00PM
    Hi,

I would like to test the automatic tab numbering in 2.8, but need to know if I it will function in the free viewer currently available.

Thanks.
    Phillipa
  •     paola August 14, 2012 11:35AM
    Tab numbering is a new feature that works in 2.8 (Free Viewer too), but doesn't work in 2.7 Viewer.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged