Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Idea: Sources - Detaching data file from an Exchange-based email? - Visokio Forums
Idea: Sources - Detaching data file from an Exchange-based email?
  • VoteVote Up4Vote Down Kefsid June 19, 2012 4:54AM
    Hi there - I am having trouble with the Email connector. There is no problem to connect to my email server and getting necessary email but I can not download the attached data file if the document is csv file...however I am able to do it with an Excel file..Any idea why?
  • 12 Comments
  •     OmarKhan August 2, 2012 1:29PM
    Hi Chris,

Having the same problem with email connector. Extracting data through Microsoft Outlook (but not on on Exchange?). Gives me error, bug report has already been sent.
  •     chris August 3, 2012 4:43AM
    Hi Omar,

As mentioned a few days ago you need to update your version of Omniscope 2.8 as you are using an old version which has this problem.
  •     JfJf August 3, 2012 6:31AM
    Hi, is the 2.8 version going to support Microsoft Exchange server? Since it is different from IMAP and POP3, Exchange is a platform used by many companies... in my case we need to get an attachment from a daily report but unfortunately (for this case) we get our emails by exchange and we are not allowed to create a Gmail account to use it as a data feed for security reasons.
    Juan FMV.
  •     chris August 3, 2012 6:49AM
    Hi - It may be possible to setup IMAP/POP3 support on your MS Exchange server. A quick internet search provided several results, for example:

http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-enable-imap-access-to-exchange-mailboxes.htm

Is this an option?
  •     JfJf August 3, 2012 7:15AM
    I will test it right away! Thx.
    Juan FMV.
  •     tjbate August 22, 2012 12:30PM
    I have re-classified this as an idea.

Omniscope does not currently support auto-detaching data files from incoming email arriving in non-IMAP or POP3 mailboxes, the major example being Microsoft Exchange Server mailboxes. Please clarify where/who this attached data is coming from, why something like Dropbox would not be a better way to receive the incoming data files, and why an alternative IMAP Gmail address just to receive these data files (which can also be copied to the Exchange mailbox) is not a quicker and simpler solution?

Also, please vote for this if you really need it, as we need to know how general this issue is and whether our devoting substantial time to this proprietary MS technology is really necessary.
  •     JfJf August 22, 2012 12:46PM
    Hi tjbate,

The main reason for this feature support is a security reason. Having a Gmail/Dropbox account to transmit sensitive data is not usually possible, nowadays the contracts are much tougher in those aspects and include clauses in the data transmission policies excluding the use of free platforms to transmit data.

Thank you,

JF
    Juan FMV.
  •     tjbate August 28, 2012 8:56AM
    Juan - Thanks for the clarification....but do you have to receive the actual data file, as opposed to just a URL link to the file? Other agencies receive just a URL link:

http://forums.visokio.com/discussion/comment/6311/#Comment_6311
  •     OmarKhan August 30, 2012 5:27AM
    Hi Thomas,

Just to clarify this. Is it possible to get the email text using the email connection when I am using Microsoft Outlook as my email server. We have tried this and it doesnt work on any version at the moment.
  •     chris August 30, 2012 5:34AM
    Hi Omar,

As mentioned before, you may be able to setup POP3/IMAP access to your Exchange server. We cannot verify this because we do not use Exchange, however a quick search on the web suggests this is possible. Once you have done this you will be able to get email text. Have you tried this?
  •     cgamolo October 16, 2012 12:13PM
    Voted.
    Similar to some previous comments, this is a feature that would greatly help us as well. We are using MS Exchange to receive data attachments.
  •     chris October 16, 2012 12:20PM
    Hi,

Have you tried setting up your Exchange server to support POP3/IMAP access?

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership