Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Display: Hiding elements/devices-view toolbars & sidebar? - Visokio Forums
Display: Hiding elements/devices-view toolbars & sidebar?
  •     Phillipa June 12, 2012 11:24AM
    Hi - We are trying to simplify the View Toolbars for our clients and essentially want to hide a lot of the elements that are standard on this toolbar. Is it possible? I would especially like to hide or have the measures tool as "read-only" as we have a lot of weighted means and once unclicked you lose the weights....

We would also like to hide all devices that the client should not use as a filter i.e. the queries and source devices - the only problem is that these are active filters and whenever I try to hide them I get the message "convert to an exclusion". I have done this and then hidden the exclusions device - it seems to work but I don't really understand what converting to an exclusion does.

Any info greatly appreciated, Cheers...Phillipa
  • 10 Comments
  •     tjbate June 12, 2012 12:27PM
    Phillipa - Almost everything in the Omniscope interface can be hidden.

To hide elements of the Main Toolbar:
    Toolbars > Toolbar settings > {Main Toolbar} untick to hide each element

To hide individual elements on the View Toolbars drop-down menus (and also Paning options and some other drop-downs):

Click on the small blue spanner/wrench at the top of the drop-down (between the field search box and the sort icon) and toggle the blue Show indicators off. They will turn grey, and the user will not be able to see or use the now-hidden element).

To not display Sidebar filtering options on the Sidebar, untick the box on the Devices drop-down. If the filter device is set, this setting will be preserved (can also be frozen) and all such preserved hidden filter settings can be seen by revealing Exclusions, although the Exclusions summary is usually also hidden from the Sidebar in shipping files.

To hide the existence of a device filter option from the Sidebar Device drop-down (as opposed to the Sidebar itself) use the small blue spanner/wrench and toggle the blue Show markers off as with the other drop-downs.

•     Phillipa June 13, 2012 4:42AM
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. Is it possible to hide the measures icon altogether? I am afraid that our client may click the measure away (revert to number of records) and then not be able to reset it. Actually I would like to hide all elements that are not necessary for a particular view like cascade, tile, aggregates and queries.

I hope it doesn't sound too stupid, but I presume freezing filters means that the frozen filter cannot be changed on a specific Tab.

Thank s again for your help.

Phillipa
  •     steve June 13, 2012 5:37AM
    You should hide "Toolbars > View toolbars". Instead, show "View data titles", which can be right-clicked and individually shown/hidden.
  •     Phillipa June 13, 2012 6:23AM
    Hi Steve,

I already have the "view toolbars" unclicked so that it only appears when you click on the spanner. We want the client to be able to change the splits and colours and also use the 100% bars. The problem is that they will probably click around to see what else they can do...........and hence the problem with the other tools available especially the measures, which are often weighted means.

We want them to be able to use some of the tools in the views but prevent them from changing sensitive variables like the measures or aggregates.

I went into the Visokio Viewer this morning to check and it is possible to deselect the selected measure when in the view toolbar! This is something we need to prevent.

Thanks.
    Phillipa
  •     steve June 13, 2012 7:32AM
    You can't let users see measures but prevent them from being changed. The only option is to hide the measure drop-down altogether.

Currently you can only do this for data titles. We're considering allowing customisation of items in the view toolbar, too.

So I suggest you hide the view toolbars, show the data titles, and configure the data titles so that measures is always hidden, and splits/colours are always showing.

They will still be able to click the blue button to get at the toolbar, but if you provide permanent data titles for splits and colours, they might be discouraged.
  •     Phillipa June 13, 2012 10:54AM
    Hi,

Thanks for the info. So, if I understand right, it is not currently possible to hide items in the view toolbar only to hide the whole toolbar.

What we are trying to do here is provide the clients with more dynamic options than the static powerpoint slides we previously gave them so that they can use splits themselves to create their own slides as they want. For example, to change the splits between regions in Germany to certain institutions in Germany and have the graphs automatically generated.

For us customisation of the view toolbar would be a great benefit. Any idea when it might happen?

Cheers
    Phillipa
  •     steve June 13, 2012 11:16AM
    Why can't you use the data titles instead of the view toolbar?

The data titles are also interactive menus, but formatted to look like clickable titles. These, unlike toolbar buttons, can be right-clicked and hidden.
  •     Phillipa June 14, 2012 4:27AM
    Hi,

I didn't realise that the data titles were interactive. I will try that out.

However, I did find a way of hiding the measures; tucked away in the view toolbar under "Layout" - "advanced" - "Show measures menu in toolbar" can be unchecked to hide measures.

Thanks
    Phillipa
  •     steve June 14, 2012 4:28AM
    It moves it to the Y axis section instead... probably not what you want.
  •     Phillipa June 14, 2012 5:19AM
    oh! Yes, now I see it. Maybe, it's less likely that they click around on the Y-axis than in the view toolbar!!

Thanks.
    Phillipa
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership