Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Filters - Visokio Forums
Filters
  • swmcdonnell August 28, 2009 2:18PM
    I have two questions about filters.

(1) Is the best way to filter a field on abs(field)>0 to create another formula field as abs(field) and filter on that greater than zero?

(2) Let's say I had a money field with a low of 0 and a high of 1000. Then I used the slider to set a lower bound of 5. If I save that filter and then refresh my data, which happens to have a record whose money value = 1100, would that new record be included or excluded when I select my saved filter?

In my mind I'm thinking "money>=5" but based on the way queries are exported, it seems like Omniscope is thinking , because 1000 was the highest value at the time the query was saved. But I want "money>=5".

I hope that wasn't too confusing.
  • 9 Comments
  •     steve August 28, 2009 3:45PM
    (1) Yes. This is the best way, easy, and I can't think of an alternative.

(2) You're right, "money>=5". Omniscope distinguishes between filter bounds which you've actively adjusted and filter bounds which are merely showing the underlying data extent. If you don't drag one of the handles away from the end, it won't apply as a filter.
  • swmcdonnell August 28, 2009 4:08PM
    Thanks for the quick response. This is probably a stupid question, but how do I set a filter for money>5 without dragging one of the handles away from the end?
  •     steve August 28, 2009 5:18PM
    Click on the number and type in the new value.
  • swmcdonnell August 28, 2009 11:17PM
    Sorry for being so dumb about this one. I type ">5"? Or do I need to create another calculated field that says "money>5 = true else false" and filter on that field instead?
  •     steve August 29, 2009 10:23AM
    No, much easier than that. Make sure you have a range slider for the field (this will be the default for numeric fields). This will initially show the overall range of the data. Click on the lower number and it will turn into a text field. Edit it, changing "0" to "5".
  • swmcdonnell September 1, 2009 10:35AM
    OK, thank you very much. I didn't know you could do that. And I saw that it set the maximum at 1.79....E308 which will definitely work!
  •     steve September 1, 2009 11:24AM
    Glad to help. When you say "it set the maximum at 1.79....E308", what do you mean? Is Omniscope displaying this very large number and under what circumstances? Are you able to send us the file?
  • swmcdonnell September 1, 2009 9:28PM
    When you set the filter that way and then export the filter, it exports as
    So I was assuming that the 1.79....E308 was an approximation of infinity in order to have the filter be Tvalue>=1000. I tried it on more than one field and it always exported that same value as a maximum.
  •     steve September 2, 2009 9:17AM
    That's correct. You'll see a similar effect for the lower bound when unconstrained.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership