Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Max memory issue - Visokio Forums
Max memory issue
  •     alec_webliquid June 6, 2012 8:41AM
    Hi,

I am trying out Omniscope on a new machine, using a trial license, and am puzzled by the maximum amount of memory it says is available (obtained by Help --> About --> Max memory). I am running 64-bit Omniscope on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, with 16GB RAM, however the amount available is only 1936MB and the performance of the program certainly reflects this. Surely it should default to 75% * 16GB = 12GB? This is a fresh install with no config options changed. I installed for all users. I had the same issue when trying it out on a virtual machine also.

Help and/or advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers
  • 15 Comments
  • antonio     antonio June 6, 2012 8:50AM
    Hi,

Can you please submit an error report that would allow us to get more info about your installed Omniscope?
  •     alec_webliquid June 6, 2012 9:00AM
    Submitted - it is the latest release, 2.7-rc b355, downloaded today from the website.
  • antonio     antonio June 6, 2012 10:49AM
    Thanks for reporting it,
    It seems that there is an error in the About panel. From your report I see that Omniscope is using the right amount of memory (13.89 GB) but is displaying a wrong value.

The fix is available in tomorrow build. Let us know if that build fix your problem
  •     alec_webliquid June 6, 2012 10:52AM
    Much appreciated, will do
  •     sherriff July 11, 2012 4:34PM
    I am seeing Max Memory: 1.06 BG
    I have Win 64bit and 16GB RAM
    Currently a total of 4.3 Used and 8.3 Free from Windows Task Manager
    I have some fairly large files open and I would expect more memory to be used and faster performance.
  •     tjbate July 12, 2012 6:52AM
    Chris - Make sure you are running today's stable build of version 2.7.
    Then can you file an error report with all your Omniscope files open but other applications closed?
    Help > Error reporting > Report a problem > {untick all File upload and attachment options}
    Make a note of the error report number assigned. Then also send in an email with the error report number in the subject line and screenshots of the following dialog:
    Settings > Advanced > Debugging > Diagnose memory use
  •     sherriff July 12, 2012 1:19PM
    am running 2.7 build 387 and have had two crashes when loading files
    first time had opportunity to send error report
    second time not

seems to be a memory error even when memory in use barely rises above 5GB when I have 16Gb installed. before opening Omniscope about 4GB is in use.

So this would seem consistent with Omniscope only accessing 1GB
  •     sherriff July 14, 2012 8:41AM
    I see from the About Visokio Omniscope box:

Java: Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_32 arch=32

which seem to suggest that despite Win7 64bit I am only getting 32 bit memory and performance due to 32bit Java.

Tried uninstalling 32bit Java and leaving only 64bit Java then reinstalling Omniscope but same result.
  •     sherriff July 14, 2012 9:38AM
    SUCCESS !!!

uninstalled both 32bit and 64bit Java and Omniscope
    rebooted machine
    reinstalled Omnscope 2.7 build 387

Now have Max Memory: 13.88GB and great performance again.
  •     mustafa July 16, 2012 5:57AM
    Chris, we are interested to know, how you manage to come into the situation where on a 64-bit machine, by default Omniscope kept starting in 32-bit version.

By default, Omniscope on 64-bit machines always by default starts up in 64-bit version.

Have you in the past, inadvertently clicked "Customise" on the first page of the installer and choose 32-bit, probably because in 2.6 we didn't have Web view in 64-bit, and to fix that you picked to associate 32-bit by default?
  •     sherriff July 18, 2012 1:56PM
    I do not recall ever having selected Customise to instal 32 bit version. So I am unable to figure out how I would ever have installed 32 bit version.

In fact I am unable to tell whether I have 64 or 32 bit running the About screen does not inform me. What I see is the following which suggests that 32bit Java is running. But I have not installed 32bit Java only 64bit java.

Edition:Desktop

Licensed for some forms of commercial distribution of IOK files. For more information on permitted uses please visit www.visokio.com
    Version: 2.7 b387 (11-Jul-2012 18:40:26) r69265
    License key: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
    Expiry:
    318 days (02-Jun-2013 16:05:50 BST)
    Max memory:
    1.06 GB
    Install location: C​:​\​U​s​e​r​s​\​MYPC​6​4​\​A​p​p​D​a​t​a​\​L​o​c​a​l​\​V​i​s​o​k​i​o Omniscope app\
    Java:Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_32 arch=32
    Timings:T: S=0.2s W=7s
    Auto deactivations:Thu Apr 21 22:26:18 BST 2011 NV

•     mustafa July 19, 2012 4:40AM
    Chris, thanks for getting back. There are several ways you can tell if you are running 32/64-bit Omniscope.

The most easiest way is to look at the Windows blue bar (where you have the minimise, maximise window buttons) if the text Visokio Omniscope.... ends with x64, then you are running Omniscope in 64-bit, otherwise, it is 32-bit. Alternatively, you can look in Help > About... and if Java version section ends with arch=64 then it is 64-bit, otherwise it is 32-bit.

From the information you have mentioned above, your Omniscope is running in 32-bit (noticed the Java line ending in arch=32.

As I mentioned in the last post, if you have a clean machine, which has never had Omniscope before, it should be 64-bit, however, I think in your case what has happened is that back in 2.6 and early 2.7, by default, Omniscope used to install in 32-bit. When Omniscope installs it always edits the installconfig.properties and changes "ENABLE_64_BIT_MODE" to either true or false depending on the version it installs.

Any subsequent Omniscope installation reads the current setting (ENABLE_64_BIT_MODE) to determine the default, hence, when you then try install any new versions, they will by default always install in 32-bit mode. Uninstalling Omniscope wouldn't help because the installconfig.properties is never deleted. The installer reads ENABLE_64_BIT_MODE setting from this file to determine the default.

You can fix the version it installs by ticking "Customise" on the first page of the installer, and change to 64-bit. Alternatively, you can manually edit the installconfig.properties, and change ENABLE_64_BIT_MODE to true.

Do you believe that there is a chance this would explain what has happened?
  •     sherriff July 20, 2012 6:15AM
    I tried the Customise route when installing build 391 today and I still get Max Memory 1.06GB and Java: arch=32

•     sherriff July 20, 2012 7:15AM
    I deactivated and uninstalled Omniscope and then reinstalled and now have 64bit.

Hopefully that has solved the rogue 32bit problem

I will post again if it crops up again
  •     steve July 21, 2012 8:19AM
    It's possible this was caused by having two Omniscope installations - one system-wide in Program Files, and the other per-user in your user account profile. This would explain installing with certain settings and still seeing other settings taking effect, because it would be easy to confuse which installation was running.

If this is the case, we advise against this, because it often leads to this kind of problem. I suggest you remove both copies of Omniscope and reinstall just once, and always now install using default settings.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership