Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Outputs: Export to Excel? - Visokio Forums
Outputs: Export to Excel?
  •     davedunckley June 4, 2012 4:43PM
    Hi - I am trying to export out to Excel. However the process seems to convert numbers to text. And I am required to perform a data - text to columns.

I have tried converting them to numbers, and then asking Omniscope to export with replace data -keep formatting. However they then end up back as text. Any ideas? Any one else able to recreate this issue?

Thanks in advance, Dave
  • 15 Comments
  •     chris June 5, 2012 1:09PM
    Hi Dave,

Would it be possible to post some sample files the demonstrate the problem you are encountering? They don't have to contain your original data, just some made-up files that we can use to reproduce your issue. You can either post them on this forum, or alternatively send them to support@visokio.com.

Thanks

Chris
  •     davedunckley June 5, 2012 2:06PM
    Hi,

Where you not able to recreate this??

See attached files. One is a omnscoipe file, with a sequance of vaules, that outputs to excel. The other is the excel output.

See the excel file is showing numbers as text, to convert the, to numbers to perform calculations, I need to do a text to cloumns. And this I cant do each time, as I need to to work as a automated dump output.

Dave
    Attachments
    test.iok 91K
    test.xlsx 395K
  •     chris June 6, 2012 9:22AM
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for sending us the files.

Omniscope comes with two Excel writers:

- Excel direct. This writes the data directly to Excel. You must have Excel installed to use this writer.

- Omniscope. This uses Omniscope to write the data. It doesn't require Excel to be installed.

In Omniscope 2.8 we have added the ability to select which writer you want to use (although you will only be able to use "Excel direct" if Excel is installed. In 2.7 and older Omniscope automatically selects which writer to use.

I've tested your data with both the "Excel direct" and "Omniscope" writers. The "Excel direct" writer does convert the data to a numeric column, and the "Omniscope" writer does not. The "Omniscope" writer currently only exports data as text, which is why your experiencing this problem. We may review this in the future, but there are a number of issues (formatting etc) that we need to deal with. I suspect that your Omniscope is automatically using the "Omniscope" writer.

Can you let us know if you have Excel installed? If you do, please ensure that "Settings>Advanced>Misc>Use alternative Excel reader" is UNCHECKED. Then add a new publisher block and try again.

Let us know how you get on.

•     davedunckley June 7, 2012 2:14PM
    ah mine just says use alternative excel reader (POI) and is unchecked.

Dave
  •     chris June 8, 2012 4:29AM
    Hi Dave,

Firstly please ensure you have the "Use alternative Excel reader" option UNCHECKED.

The option should say "Excel reader" in your version of Omniscope. Steve was referring to the same option in 2.8, where we have changed the text slightly.

Can you add a completely new Excel publisher block. Does that block still have the same problem?
  •     davedunckley June 8, 2012 4:56AM
    Ok getting somewhere. It does not like to create on a unc.
  •     davedunckley June 8, 2012 4:57AM
    If you create on a local drive it's fine. Create over a unc and it fails.
  •     chris June 8, 2012 5:05AM
    What do you mean by UNC? Do you mean when you try and create it on a network drive it fails? If so what error message do you get? When you create it locally is your original issue with the formatting now fixed?
  •     davedunckley June 8, 2012 5:08AM
    I get no error message at all.

But yes locally its fine. Over network it fails. It used to work fine. This only started when we moved to run this on a sever (it used to run from a pc)

Any ideas?

Dave
  •     chris June 8, 2012 5:13AM
    What happens when it fails?
    Does the block say it published successfully?
    Do you have permissions to write to the folder?
    Can you try publishing different data (eg. IOK/CSV), does this work?
  •     davedunckley June 8, 2012 5:14AM
    It does say it was successful.

And yes other types work fine.
  •     chris June 8, 2012 5:21AM
    I've tested this out and I am able to write to a network location in Omniscope 2.7, so i'm not entirely sure why your experiencing this problem. I would suggest trying to export to other network locations and see if you still have the same problem.
  •     davedunckley June 8, 2012 5:30AM
    Same issue on all network locations.
  •     chris June 8, 2012 5:40AM
    Dave,

As suggested before, I think it would be worthwhile setting up a screen-sharing session. We cannot reproduce your issue, so I think we need to be able to see your screen in order to diagnose your issue. Please contact me by email to arrange this.
  •     davedunckley June 11, 2012 7:52AM
    Hi,

I have got this going. Thanks for all your help. I did not have the modify permissions.

This stopped it working.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged