Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Pivot view: details of differences? - Visokio Forums
Pivot view: details of differences?
  •     walsh August 17, 2009 9:24PM
    I have a pivot table that lists month-by-month values (x-axis) from a number of different groups (y-axis). The difference column shows the monthly difference for each group. Is it possible to identify the rows that constitute the delta? I have a table view below the pivot and I see that, in v2.5, when the difference cell is clicked, some rows are selected. It appears that all rows in the two datasets being compared are selected - I'd like to see what's changed.

I'm pretty certain that I heard or read that v2.5 gives some way of showing the differences between two data sets, so if it's not the pivot view I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
    Many thanks,
    KW
  • 2 Comments
  •     walsh August 17, 2009 10:46PM
    Having posted the above, I realize that the comparison would need to operate on one or more selected columns and not the whole data set. As I'm comparing monthly data, the month column of each is of course different for each row of the datasets being compared.
  •     steve August 18, 2009 6:56AM
    Kevin,

Given two Pivot value cells A and B, and a difference cell in-between D, we decided that while selecting a value cell A or B would select all records for that cell's x/y value coordinates, selecting the difference cell would select the union of the records for both value cells.

This is because the difference D is simply the value shown in B minus the value shown in A. Omniscope doesn't compare the data record by record, only the resulting cell values.

In your case I'm guessing you have one record, or a fixed number of records, behind each cell. That's not a given in most cases. Often you'll have, say, 2 records in one cell and 3 in another, and the idea of showing "which records are different" doesn't make sense when you've got values 1, 2 and 5, 1, -3 in each respective cells. All values are "different". Or, when you've got 1, 2 and 2, 3, 4. You could say the 2's are the same as each other, but how do you know that the second record in the first cell aligns with the first record in the second cell?

Pivot differences have been in Omniscope for several major versions, so I don't think this is what you've heard about. The Venn view introduced in 2.4 allows comparison of subsets, and in future it will become more powerful at comparing data, but I don't know if this will help you case.

You may be able to achieve what you want using formula fields. If possible please email us this file so we see what you need more clearly.

Steve

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership