Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Free Viewer: Verifying IOK file display in free Viewer - Visokio Forums
Free Viewer: Verifying IOK file display in free Viewer
  •     enrico68 May 10, 2012 4:17AM
    Hi - I'd like to know if it's possible to view an .iok file in a licensed Omniscope Desktop Edition as it will be seen using a Viewer (obviously without having to open it in another not-licensed Omniscope installation). This will be very useful for checking it before sharing to the users - Thanks
  • 4 Comments
  •     paola May 11, 2012 7:44AM
    Hi Enrico, the .iok file will look the same when you open it on Desktop or Free Viewer edition. The difference is that Desktop users will be able to work on the file and save changes, and Viewer users will have read-only access.
  • Guy_Cuthbert        Guy_Cuthbert June 7, 2012 3:55AM
    Paola's answer is factually correct, but sidesteps what I believe is the essence of Enrico's question... namely

"How exactly will my file look in the Viewer?"

This is of great importance to trainers / help authors / testers, because Omniscope 'feels' quite different when in Viewer mode - for example:
    • The main menu structure is very different
    • Some context menu options are available, but many aren't
    • Data export options are different
      etc.

In short, the user experience is sufficiently different, that it is often necessary to test an authored IOK file before publishing.

We do this by running Viewer within Windows XP mode (a standard feature of Windows 7). Feel free to contact me for full details, but the essence of this is:
    • Install Windows XP Mode for Windows 7
    • Install Omniscope 2.7 (or 2.8 etc.) into your new virtual Windows XP environment
    • Wait 30 days(!)
    • The default licence has now expired on your Windows XP Mode PC - so Omniscope is operating as a Viewer

You can now update the version of Omniscope in your virtual Windows XP environment to whatever Omniscope version you choose, and it will always operate as a Viewer.

It would be very handy if Visokio could add a "View as Viewer" option to the menus bar (perhaps in the Settings > Application Wide area, between Window Size and Zoom?).

In the meantime, I hope the "Viewer in Windows XP Mode" workaround is useful?
    Atheon Analytics Ltd
    w: www.atheonanalytics.com
    e: guy.cuthbert@atheon.co.uk
    t: +44 8444 145501
    m: +44 7973 550528
    s: guycuthbert
  •     steve June 7, 2012 4:22AM
    Interesting suggestion, Guy. But you can scrub the "Wait 30 days" bit - as long as you don't sign up for the trial, you won't get it (registration for trial was introduced back in 2.6, I think).
  •     mustafa June 7, 2012 4:49AM
    All you have to do is tick "Don't show me this again" check box in the bottom right hand corner of the Free trial prompt. After that, you will not be given the prompt.

Note: If you double click an IOK file, you are not given the free trial prompt, Omniscope will open in free Viewer. You are only shown the prompt if you manually start Omniscope.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Tagged