Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Google Analytics data doesn't match ??? - Visokio Forums
Google Analytics data doesn't match ???
  •     dszl136154 May 9, 2012 10:27AM
    I pulled data from Google Analytics through Omniscope and the overall total match with actual GA data. When I split it by Medium it doesn't match with data shown on GA site. It's the same period, dimensions and metrics selected. Any idea what's wrong?
    Attachments
    GA data.PNG 82K
    Omniscope.png 34K
  • 11 Comments
  •     chris May 9, 2012 6:39PM
    We are investigating this issue via email. We will post back once we identify the problem.
  •     jim.ledger May 16, 2012 12:04PM
    My guess is because the GA report is based on a sample (look at the yellow box at the top right of the screen).

If you run them both again, but for a single day, you'll probably find they match.

But on a similar subject, Visokio, are there any plans to introduce filters & segments into the GA API connector? It can be quite awkward having to download 'too much' and then filter the data...

Also, is the API connector hitting the new core reporting API, or the old one which is soon to be deprecated? Can we be assured that this will continue working as normal?
  •     chris May 16, 2012 12:44PM
    Hi Jim,

We were unable to verify this but I think your probably right.

As to filters/segments, we will be updating the GoogleAnalytics connector in the next few weeks, so please let us know exactly what you need and we'll try and incorporate it.
  •     dszl136154 May 17, 2012 4:10AM
    Hi Chris,

I think that I figured out what the problem is.
    GA has an option to "control the number of visits used for a report" which is located at the top of the right corner as a slider. The slider gives you either "faster processing" or "Higher precision". (pics attached)
    In my opinion Omniscope pulls data using "Higher precision". When I moved the sliding bar (GA) to the max the reluts matched with Omniscope report.imageimage
    Attachments
    GA1.PNG 85K
    GA2.PNG 84K
  •     jim.ledger May 17, 2012 7:37AM
    Hi Chris, thanks for your reply,

Just to clarify my requirements to get the most out of the GA API connector:

I've built a GA connector in Excel that allows me to specify custom filters such as:
    keyword!=(not provided);keyword!=(not set);medium==organic

So if you could provide a filter function that allows a user more intuitively to build custom multiple AND / OR logical filters, that would be great.

There is also an option to specify advanced segments which have already been set up for the profile (for example to isolate a specific language in a dual language site)
    Fore example, dynamic::gaid::######## (where ####### is the segment ID)

Finally, please could you confirm the API version that the current GA connector uses... I understand that versions prior to v3 are to be deprecated sometime in June. I have an important client dashboard that depends on the API connector, so I need to manage expectations if it's likely to fall over...

Many thanks,

Jim

•     jim.ledger May 17, 2012 7:41AM
    Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention... would it be also possible to specify multiple profiles? The excel tool I 've developed allows me to specify multiple profiles, and it runs and appends each set of results in sequence. We frequently have to run the same report across 20+ profiles, so this could really help reduce clutter in the data manager.

Thanks again,

Jim
  •     chris May 17, 2012 7:49AM
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for the questions. We will be updating to v3 in the next week or so. I think Google have announced that previous versions will be deprecated, but there is no fixed date as far as i'm aware, so even if you use an old version of Omniscope they should continue to work.

As for your requests, we will look at implementing all of these features, and we'll keep you updated as to when when any updates are available.
  •     eman May 24, 2012 11:46AM
    Hi Chris,

Has the new version of the GA connector been released? Like Jim, it would be great to see it developped more, especially for features like advanced segments etc.

Thanks
  •     chris May 24, 2012 11:48AM
    Hi,

We are working on the new GoogleAnalytics connector as we speak. It is being implemented in Omniscope 2.8, which should be available in the next few weeks. I'll post up a list of new features in the next few days.
  •     eman May 24, 2012 12:10PM
    Cool, thanks for the quick reply.
  •     chris May 25, 2012 5:52AM
    Hi,

So far we've made the following updates in the Google Analytics connector:

- Fully updated to use latest version (v3) of the Google API.
    - New login mechanism via OAuth. Now when you click the "Connect" button you are required to login in your browser rather than Omniscope.
    - The ability to select multiple profiles.
    - The ability to create multiple filters.
    - The ability to select pre-defined advanced segments. I don't think there's any point in adding the ability to define dynamic segments, since this would have the same affect as filtering.

Now is a great time to let us know if there are any other features that you would like to see in the Google Analytics connector.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership