Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Cartesian product - Merge many-to-many - Visokio Forums
Cartesian product - Merge many-to-many
  • sara_llamasoft April 20, 2012 2:02PM
    Hi -

I'm using 2.7-beta b323 and want to do a cartesian product/many-to-many merge but can't get it to work. As an example, I have a table [Product] with 5 records, representing 5 products, and another table [Sites] with 20 records, representing store locations. What I'm looking for is each combination of product x site, 100 records. Later, I want to insert them into a database table.

I have a merge/join block with these two tables as input and I can see where there's "allow many:many" check box. I tried removing the join criteria and I get an error that I need a join criteria (however, it does indicate that I'd get 100 records). I also tried to merge on arbitrary fields like Productname and Sitename, which I know will be different, but that results in zero records.

Sorry in advance if I missed this on the knowledge base somewhere. I looked but did not see anything. Thanks!

Sara
  • 5 Comments
  •        daniel April 20, 2012 4:54PM
    You will want to add an identical column for each table , one on the Product table and call it 'Product Join Column' and one on the Sites tables called 'Sites Join Column'. Then fill both the new columns you created with the same word or code ie the word 'Join'.

Then you can use those two new columns as a join criteria where 'Products Join Column' = 'Sites Join Column' and merge/join those two fields you created together. It will create the 100 rows you want.
  •     chris April 20, 2012 6:54PM
    Hi Sara/Daniel,

Thanks for the comments.

You should be able to execute a join with no join criteria. If you are unable to do this then this is a bug that we need to fix. We will investigate this and let you know once it's been fixed.
  •     chris April 22, 2012 4:28PM
    Hi,

I've just done a quick check and I am able to execute a join with no join criteria. Can you update to the latest version of Omniscope 2.7 (b326), and if your still having problems post a screenshot of the workflow.

Thanks

Chris
  • sara_llamasoft April 23, 2012 11:17AM
    Hi Chris -

I updated to b326 and can now execute the join without any criteria. Thanks for the help.

Sara
  •     chris April 23, 2012 11:25AM
    Hi Sara,

I'm glad its working. This was a bug that was fixed fairly recently. Please let us know if you encounter any further problems or have any questions.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership