Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Will Free Viewer see the updated data? - Visokio Forums
Will Free Viewer see the updated data?
  •     naruemon March 23, 2012 1:06AM
    I have one Omniscope file which will fetch data from database regularly to get the updated data.
    In Omniscope file, if the data is updated, I have to click 'Load' to get updated data in 'DataExplorer'.
    I plan to share this file with others who have only Free Viewer to analyze the data realtime.
    If the new data is updated in this file, will others (who open this file with Free Viewer) receive the updated data also?
    Do I have to save this file regularly after updated?
    Please kindly suggest. Thank you :D
  • 5 Comments
  •     tjbate March 23, 2012 8:51AM
    Mon - All Omniscope files are configured with refresh behavior and a source when saved. Whenever you save any IOK file, you can re-configure future desired refresh behaviors for that file from the File > Save as dialogue:

Never - file will not refresh on open
    Auto-detect - file detects change in Source and refreshes if necessary
    Always - file will always refresh from Source on open

In addition, from Data > {Background} Automatic refresh you can enable a file for 'live' background refresh from Source periodically as long as the Report file remains open.

If your database is populating an IOK Source file (sometimes called a 'data-mart' or 'meta-report' IOK file), the 'downstream' or 'child' Report/Dashboard IOK files you save that have the Source IOK as their source will refresh as follows:

1. If an (un-empowered) Report IOK file is opened in a free Viewer, it will never refresh. You must save resend the file (which can be automatically done using a Server).

2. If an (un-empowered) Report IOK file is opened in an activated Desktop Edition, all refresh behaviors will be respected, including background auto-refresh.

3. If you use a ServerPlus installation to automatically refresh and save the Report/Dashboard IOK file as an EMPOWERED IOK file, then the free Viewer will act the same as an activated Omniscope and respect all refresh settings, PROVIDED the Source is always an IOK 'data-mart' or 'meta-report' file.
  •     naruemon March 26, 2012 12:42AM
    Thank you for your response ^^
    I would ask some more about this and hope that it would not bother you too much.
    What the FreeViewer see when they open a IOK file? Will they see the data which load in Omniscope block or any data blockes?

I am just not sure because when the database blockes are updated, I have to click 'Load' in the last block to get the updated data in Omniscope every time.
    If I use a ServerPlus and set the database blockes to update based on the schedule, I do not need to click load to OmniScope and save file again when they are updated. Do I understand correctly?
    Or do I have to publish an IOK file output and share a new IOK output file to my colleague?
    Just would like to make sure that I understand properly - -'
  •     naruemon March 26, 2012 12:43AM
    Additional: how could I know that which IOK file is empowered or un-empowered?
  •     tjbate March 26, 2012 6:47AM
    Mon - Only IOK files created or saved by a ServerPlus licensed installations are empowered. All others are not empowered.

Free Viewers do not display the DataManager workspace. Portable IOK files contain only the data 'loaded' into memory, i.e only the data set represented by the blue 'Omniscope' block after the data flow has been completed by either a load or a refresh.

The automated Scheduler process included in Server and ServerPlus installations ensures that the last-defined load operation is always performed as part of the overall automated file refresh, personalisation and distribution flow and also for all auto-published outputs.

You can set your Desktop files to execute the last-defined load automatically using:
    Data > Automatic refresh > {enable} and choosing the last option:
    'Retreive new data, notify and apply immediately'
  •     naruemon March 27, 2012 3:24AM
    Thank you Thomas ^_^

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership