Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Sources: Excel Date formatting? - Visokio Forums
Sources: Excel Date formatting?
  •     schergr March 19, 2012 11:29AM
    I have a spreadsheet with dates formatted as 3/14/2011. However when they come into Omniscope, they are recognized as Date/Time, but they render as 3/14/0011

If I change the date formatting in Excel, I get 3/14/11, but I do want the full four digit year. Am I doing something wrong?
  • 6 Comments
  •        hgross March 19, 2012 11:54AM
    An easy fix is to convert the date output using a field organizer as M/d/20yy
  •     chris March 19, 2012 12:06PM
    Hi,

I can't reproduce this problem. Would it be possible to post an example spreadsheet?
  •     indranildatta March 20, 2012 5:40AM
    I have often encountered this issue.

The easiest solution I've found is to simply change the Excel reader in the Data Source block from "Excel as text" to "Excel direct" or "Omniscope reader" and then specify the desired output date format in a Field Organiser block downstream.

There are of course performance trade-offs that the latter two reader are slower but I haven't noticed any significant difference in performance unless the file has millions and millions of rows.

I hope this helps.
    Cheers!
    Indranil
    Indranil Datta
    Invizua Limited - www.invizua.com - Dedicated to Media, Marketing Services and Market Research Organisations
    M: +44 7956 470 046 | E: indranil.datta@invizua.com | Skype: indranildatta1 | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/indranildatta | Twitter: @indranildatta

Address: Studio 6, 36-42 New Inn Yard, London EC2A 3EY
  •     steve March 20, 2012 6:04AM
    Another solution is to turn off "parsing" of date fields in the file source block configuration, then use Field Organiser to parse the text value "3/14/11" using "M/d/yy". This will use the 2-to-4-digit conversion rule of 80 years in the past or 20 years in the future.
  •     alec_webliquid October 25, 2012 7:28AM
    FYI, the same issue occurs when using 'Excel as Text' to read numerical values. The value is only read to the number of decimal places it is shown in the file, not the actual value. Obviously this can be disastrous - switching to 'Excel Direct' seems to solve it though :)
  •     steve October 26, 2012 4:41AM
    Did you try "Omniscope reader"?

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership