Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
charts + forcing axis labels - Visokio Forums
charts + forcing axis labels
  • TimS June 22, 2009 5:55PM
    Hi,

I have looked on the forum and support pages and can't find an explanation of this. If I set up a chart [with a time series as the x axis], can I force the axis, so that reducing the time period reduces that amount of bars or points rather than changing the periodicity of the axis?

Thanks,

Tim
  • 5 Comments
  •     steve June 23, 2009 6:51AM
    Let's say you have a database of transactions, with a graph showing a marker for each record, with Time on the X axis and Value on the Y. You want to group records into single markers for each month, with the Y axis being the sum of the Value field.

To do this, you would use the Aggregate drop-down, ticking only Time. To adjust the intervals, click "Histogram" next to "Time" and drag the slider. To configure the Value as Sum, click the button next to the un-ticked "Value" field.

You may find this kind of histogram effect much easier to use in the Bar view, by selecting "Split: Time", and using the pop-out options panel, under "Breakdowns", configuring the histogram interval by un-ticking "fit to screen" and dragging the slider.
  • TimS June 23, 2009 7:43AM
    Thanks for your comment.

I did this, but when I focus on a tighter time period the x axis still adjusts, rather than keep the original scale but with no bars for some periods.
  •     steve June 23, 2009 8:23AM
    I presume you're referring to the Bar view suggestion. Does aggregation in the Graph work for you?
  • TimS June 23, 2009 8:26AM
    I haven't tried it in graph -I am using a stacked bar, so need to use bar view.

Thanks,

Tim
  •     steve June 23, 2009 8:43AM
    In the Bar view and the aggregation drop-down, you will be able to pick a fixed interval in a future release of Omniscope, possibly 2.6. For now, the interval adapts to the data as you filter.

Meanwhile, you can create a formula field if necessary which converts the date to text using a fixed format, e.g. "2008" using DATETOTEXT([Month(period)], "yyyy"), and use that in the graph/bar axis. For more information see:
    http://www.visokio.com/functions-guide
    http://www.visokio.com/dates-and-times

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership