Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Summary and Granular level data - Visokio Forums
Summary and Granular level data
  •     adam_varney December 12, 2011 12:15PM
    I am currently having a small issue with a data file that contain both summary and granular level data in it. In the Excel files the Summary level data hosts lots of blanks under fields such as Category then a sub category which is filled in for each one. However i need to fill in these blanks based on the main categoy. For example when i want to show a total score for the main category "washing liquids".

Sorry if this is not the best explanation for the issue but any help with gettining this data to the correct format would be appreciated

Thanks
    Adam,
  • 2 Comments
  •     tjbate December 12, 2011 12:59PM
    Adam - this sounds like you have been given a heavily-formatted spreadsheet designed to be presented to and read by humans...i.e. the spreadsheet you have is not really a complete, proper data set/data feed with all values (or nulls) explicitly supplied for all fields.

Omniscope cannot really automatically create data structure where none exists, unless you can write formulae that 'fill-in-the-blanks' deductively by inspecting other fields in the row. In general, Omniscope does not really need to import most summary level data, since the summary level values should be re-producible inside Omniscope from the only the granular data.

The Omniscope DataManager File import block gives you a lot of options for importing selectively from heavily-formatted 'presentation' spreadsheets, but if some headings need to be copied/pasted in the spreadsheet to ensure completeness, then either you or the person supplying the spreadsheet need to do this.
  •     adam_varney December 13, 2011 6:42AM
    Hi TJ,

Yes i was aware of the import features the other issue with this is that i am batch appending something like 400 files which takes a very long time to load and doesn't manage very well with loading a mix of .xls and .xlsx.

I think i am going to have to come up with a creative formula in omniscope to fill in the blanks as doing it manually is not an option atm.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership