Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Idea: Input from Perl Script? - Visokio Forums
Idea: Input from Perl Script?
  • VoteVote Up1Vote Down     schergr December 7, 2011 10:23AM
    Wondering if its possible today to take the output from a command line application such as a Perl script and use this as an input to a block (merge/join, append, summarise, etc...
  • 6 Comments
  •     steve December 7, 2011 3:48PM
    We are planning on adding such a data source, yes. It may not make 2.7, though.
  •     schergr December 7, 2011 4:19PM
    I'm pulling for it ;) The ability to execute a script and read directly from output would be amazing.
  •     steve December 8, 2011 2:24AM
    I presume you mean a data source without any inputs? I imagine a data source where you execute a predefined command and capture the process output stream as text (CSV, XML, etc.). You might also want a merging feed where the command is defined by a field in the input.
  •     schergr December 8, 2011 8:21AM
    Precisely.

My scenario is that I have a perl script that I run with a series of parameters that pulls inventory data out of an IT Asset Management system. I already have the data in CSV, but if I can use the command and define the refresh interval.... BLISS!
  •     schergr December 8, 2011 9:21AM
    BTW...when you add that feature, please make sure you else include the ability to adjust the encoding of the text.
  •     steve December 8, 2011 12:00PM
    Sure, it would have all the options for text file import.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership