Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Merge/Join Function by closest numerical value - Visokio Forums
Merge/Join Function by closest numerical value
  • VoteVote Up0Vote Down        daniel December 5, 2011 5:24AM
    I know this may not be straight forward but is it possible to adapt the merge/join function so that it searches for the closest numerical value and joins to it. I ask this because Im interested in a way to match a subset of station locations to a larger list of venues based on lat/long.

The overall objective is to create an operaton that will be able to find the closest station for each venue but say for a list of over 200k records.

Once that step is completed what I would like to do is to use the distance calcuation formula recently added to determine the distance of each venue from its closest station.

• 2 Comments
  •     tjbate December 5, 2011 6:06AM
    Daniel - the general approach to this is to create new copies of the merge fields which are rounded up to fewer significant digits. Another option is to use the BUCKET function to group merge field values into more 'mergeable' value range 'buckets'.

Doing this kind of rounded matching with 2 field coordinates will require setting matching precedence of Latitude first or Longitude first. There will be a tradeoff between mapping precision and number of matching merge values...unmatched records may need to be matched manually/visually.
  •     steve December 5, 2011 6:53AM
    Another way is to merge creating permutations, use a formula to work out the proximity, sort by proximity, then de-dup. This should all be possible in DataManager, providing the permutations are not unmanageably large.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership