Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Mapping: Geo-coding Yahoo Error 403? - Visokio Forums
Mapping: Geo-coding Yahoo Error 403?
  • Alexander     Alexander November 30, 2011 8:07AM
    Hi,

Using the geo-coding functions, Cloudmade free server works fine. Since I prefer using 2 different sources and comparing the results, I set up a different field for the Yahoo results.

Using the Yahoo free server I get the following warning:
    "Forbidden (HTTP error 403): The page you are trying to access is forbidden."

Please advise! Thanks!
  • 6 Comments
  •     steve November 30, 2011 9:07AM
    Yahoo are blocking our / your use of geocoding either due to rate limiting or breach of terms of free service. We are looking at alternative options.

Meanwhile you should use cloudmade, or consider using a lookup file - for example, the full UK postcode database, and other data files, are now freely available from geonames:

http://www.geonames.org/export/
    http://download.geonames.org/export/zip/GB_full.csv.zip
  • Alexander     Alexander November 30, 2011 9:22AM
    Hi Steve, thanks for your rapid respons.
    I googled the problem as well, and I found an announcement that Yahoo changed the required API in September. Could this be the reason that they are blocking us?
  •     steve November 30, 2011 9:41AM
    You're right. Fixed for tonight's build of 2.7 (b138+) and next week's build of 2.6 (b819+). Thanks for reporting.
  • Alexander     Alexander November 30, 2011 9:53AM
    Superb! When do you expect that 2.6 (b819+) is available? Is that on monday next week?

Thanks!
  •     steve November 30, 2011 1:35PM
    We update 2.6 weekly after further tests. But if you need, we can give you a direct link to the untested daily build of 2.6 tomorrow.
  • Alexander     Alexander December 1, 2011 4:36AM
    Okay! I'll wait for the tested version. Thanks for the info and effort.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership