Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Formula IF() with Null Values in text field - Visokio Forums
Formula IF() with Null Values in text field
  • Focus_Media Focus_Media October 6, 2011 12:44PM
    I have a calculated field, and worked fine until I installed last version: 2.6 787(rc)

Steps to reproduce:

Create on new iok with 3 text fields: (Original, ChangedByUser, Formula)

Change field Formula and define this formula:
    =IF(ChangedByUser="", Original, ChangedByUser)

If I write some text in the Original column, it should be shown in the Formula Field.

This worked fine until I installed yesterday last version.

Now, the condition (ChangedByUser="") ==> Is always False!!!

I think there are a little bit problem with Null/Empty values in a text field.

Because I didn't find a 'function' like IsNull(Value), i had to change the formula to:

=IF(("" & ChangedByUser)="", Original, ChangedByUser)

And then, it works fine... but I need to change a lot of formulas like this!

I think should be a 'function' IsNull(value) or IsEmpty(value), to avoid this problem.

Regards
  • 4 Comments
  •     steve October 6, 2011 12:56PM
    I'm not sure why the ChangedByUser="" would have ever worked. We'll investigate, and see if we can support this.

You can simply write:
    ChangedByUser=null

(no quotes).
  •     steve October 7, 2011 2:15AM
    When using the test ""=null, old and new builds of 2.6 evaluate to false. I've tested the latest build, and 2.6 b666 and 2.6 b280.

It's not correct to use "" for null, because "" is a zero-length text value rather than null, absence of any value of any data type ([Some number field]="" is clearly wrong).

(In data cells in Omniscope you can't have zero-length text values, but it's conceivable you might inside formulae.)
  • Focus_Media Focus_Media October 7, 2011 6:47AM
    Thanks steve
    did not know the possibility of using =null, I was looking it in functions :-) From now I will use =null.

But (i dont know why), I have iok files that I used IF(=""...), and it worked well, and then, when I install last version, it fails.

As you say, its possible the changes from null to zero-length text value. because the .iok are loaded, modified by user and saved, and reload again, and is possible it changes in this process.

Regards
  •     steve October 7, 2011 6:58AM
    It is never possible to have zero length text values in column data. Even if the user edits the text. But it might be possible to have zero-length text values inside formulae, e.g. using MID function.

If you can find an IOK file and a version of Omniscope which behaves differently, please let me know which version and send the file.

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership