Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Prevent Category-Colors from changing - Visokio Forums
Prevent Category-Colors from changing
  • Patricia April 25, 2012 4:22AM
    Dear Visokio-Team and Users,

I made some changes to the category-colours for my category-field by editing the colours in the menu:

Data > Manage fields > Options > Value order, colour

Now, by editing the category-name later, the colours are changing again. Also by simple refreshings for the data, all of my colouring work is gone and the colours changed again.

Is there a way to "save" my edited colour-settings for the categories?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best Regards
  • 3 Comments
  •     mustafa April 25, 2012 9:27AM
    You have mentioned three distinct issues:

1. Problem: Editing category value names, the colours are changing.

Let me explain why, category specific colours are associated with a particular value in a category field rather than associated with the field itself.

If you at a later time change the category value from one to another, to Omniscope the rename is a new category in the data and will automatically choose a new default colour based on Category data colours, rather than keep existing category settings.

For example, if you have a category field which has values "A", "B", "C", and you assign "A" category value a colour and then rename category value "A" to "AA", Omniscope will assign a colour to the value. This allows in the future if you then revert back from "AA" to "A", your old colour setting will be restored.

If you would like the ability to do what you are trying to do, so that if you rename category value it should keep the existing settings then I would post this as an idea.

2. Problem: On refresh the colour setting is being lost.

Feedback: This looks like a bug to me, unless on refresh you are getting totally new category values. Can you post sample file with source that illustrates the problem?

3. Problem:Is there a way to save edited colour-settings for categories.

Feedback:If by this you mean, if you can save the individual colour settings that you have assigned for each category then, unfortunately, this not currently possible. You can at the moment only import/export order from "Value, order, colour" dialog.

Note: You can save "Category data colours" which are used to determine the defaults. You can do this from Style > Data colours > Edit category colours.

If you would like the ability to this, then I would post it as an idea.

4. Note: The above is also true of per-category value "Shape" setting.
  •     steve April 25, 2012 2:45PM
    (3. Mustafa is talking about *exporting*. If you simply want to preserve value colours in an IOK file, this should already happen, after considering the earlier points).
  •     Julia_OIS May 2, 2012 9:50AM
    Thank you Mustafa and Steve for your feedback. The problem seems to be the behaviour after the category names are changed - they are changing back to the original name after refreshing.

I understand the "behaviour" now and see, that this is the correct way for the original colour settings. Maybe it would be good to have an optional button "preserve colours from changing". I will post this as an idea!

Best regards

Julia

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership