Visokio website     Downloads     Video tutorials     KnowledgeBase  
Record filter compare against another column - Visokio Forums
Record filter compare against another column
  • VoteVote Up5Vote Down     alec_webliquid May 3, 2012 4:34AM
    Would it be possible to be able to Record Filter based on two fields instead of having to input a value manually? For example, say I have a Date field and a Start Date field. All records with Date before the Start Date (which may not be constant throughout the data) are invalid and so need to be filtered out. This is quite a common occurrence when e.g. pulling data from DoubleClick where an advert may be tested before it is officially due to go online.

Please vote this up if you think it is a good idea!

Cheers
  • 4 Comments
  •     chris May 3, 2012 4:38AM
    Hi Alec,

Could you post us some sample idea so we can get a better idea of what your trying to do?

Thanks
  •     alec_webliquid May 3, 2012 5:29AM
    Sure. Currently in a record filter you have to input a specific value to check against. E.g. you would say 'accept all records where Date > 1-Jan-2012', where Date is a field in my data. I wish to be able to say 'accept all records where Date > Start Date' where Start Date is another field in my data.

Essentially this is just enforcing a relationship between two fields, i.e. enforcing a schema for my data and removing any invalid records.

Specific example: Say I am analysing the performance of one or more online advertising campaigns, obtaining my data from the DoubleClick feed. Each one will have a Campaign Start Date when all of the adverts officially go live. However, some testing will be carried out beforehand and so when collecting 'All Available Data' there will be records returned from before the start date. These records must be filtered out as they are not valid, and including them would make any analysis inaccurate.
  •     tjbate May 3, 2012 6:49AM
    Alec - If you define a formula that compares two or more values in the data set (including even an externally-managed Variable), the true/false result of that formula field that enforces your schema can be either "IN" or "OUT". You can then define a Named Query to accept only the "INs" and set each view's visible data subset to be Filtered Data (IN) intersected with "Query=IN" only. All these schema-enforcing fields can be hidden.
  •     alec_webliquid May 3, 2012 7:04AM
    Thanks tj, that's what I have done for the moment - it would still be a nice feature though if only to make the process less manual

Welcome!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership